Why Cite or Reference?
- To avoid plagiarism
- To acknowledge debts to other writers
- To verify quotations
- To enable all those who read your work to locate your sources easily
- To enable readers to follow-up and read more fully the cited author’s arguments
- To demonstrate the body of knowledge upon which your research is based
It is Plagiarism if you.....
- Copy sentences from a web page, a blog, a book, or an article and insert them into your paper without citing them.
- Copy large chunks of text from one or more original sources and insert it into work.
- Use an image or video from any source and do not cite it properly.
- Quote or paraphrase from another paper without crediting the original author.
- Cite data without crediting the original source.
- Propose another author’s idea as if it were your own.
- Fabricating references or using incorrect references.
- Submitting someone else’s presentation, program, spreadsheet, or other file with only minor alterations.
Test your knowledge: take Indaiana University's plagiarism quiz
Basic information needed for citing
- Author(s) Author(s)
- Title Article Title
- Year of Publication Article Page Numbers
- Publisher Journal Title
- Place of Publication Journal Volume Number
- Edition (if not the first) Journal Issue Number
- Year of Publication
Some useful links
- How to write a literature review Burmingham City University's Centre for academic success study guide
- University of Leicester: Planning and conducting a dissertation research project - Provides guidance on the whole process, from begining to end. Includes choosing a topic, writing a proposal, time planning, literature review, collecting data and writing up.
- Literature review online tutorial (RMIT, Aus). A set of short videos showing you how to think, plan, structure and write the introduction, body and conclusion of a literature review. An essential starting point for postgraduates.
These titles and more on different aspects of research are available in the University of Ghana Library System. Look them up in the UGCat for precise location and call no.
Senior Assistant Librarian, Electronic Resources
1st Floor, East Wing
University of Ghana
IP Phone: 3136